I seriously think that this pack of instant curry mix is quite awesome. With a few extra ingredients such as 1/2 cup of asam juice, 1 cup of diced onion, the curry flavour is strong and salivating. Cooking curry fish head is easy, especially when you have a pack like this, nothing much to prepare and you don’t need to clean up the entire kitchen after that. Adding pineapples into the curry will give another dimension to the dish that will be uninteresting otherwise.
Another tip is to use salmon fish head to cook this dish. I like to use salmon fish head to cook curry because I like it loaded with lots of omega 3 fatty acids, which means it is oil-rich hence tasty, it also matches well with some vegetables to become one pot dish to serve the entire family. The final tip is to cook the fish head and eggplant in the microwave, separately, and then add into the cooked curry mixture to become the curry fish head. This way, you can cook the eggplant more thoroughly without simmering the curry for too long, you will also not break the fish head up by turning it.
I garnish with some chopped parsley only, but you can try with mint leaves, CYs Penang grandmother usually garnishes this way and, it really makes a significant difference! Worth trying!
1 pack of instant curry mix
some water to dilute the paste
1 tbsp of asam paste/tamarind, dilute with warm water, strained.
lemongrass, white parts only
a few curry leaves
1 cup of diced onions
3 Tbs of chopped garlic
Salt, sugar and pepper to taste
1 fish head, preferably salmon fish head
1 cup of pineapples, cubed
1 brinjal/eggplant/aubergine, cubed
3 tomatoes, wedged
parsley for garnishing
- Put eggplant with a bit of water in the microwave for 5 min
- Put fish head with a bit of water in the microwave for 8-10 min, depending on its size
- Meanwhile, add oil, high heat, stir fry onion and garlic till fragrant, about 2 min
- Add lemongrass, curry leaves and the curry mix, medium heat, stir fry everything till fragrant, about 5 min
- Add some water, turn up the heat, boil the curry
- When the eggplant is done, put inside the curry with tomatoes, pineapples and asam juice, cook/boil for about 3 min
- Add salt, sugar and pepper to taste
- Take the fish head out, put on the serving pot, pour the curry into the pot and garnish, serve with rice